Sunday, January 16, 2005

very giggly

it surprises me how often people still ask me about japan. and everytime someone asks me what it was like, i tell them it was amazing and absolutely crazy. that's why i loved it and that's why i left. i met some of the greatest people i know while i was there, and i saw some beautiful buildings that were older than i could imagine. when i went to nyc last spring, my friend took me to times square to see the lights and all the people, and it wasn't even close to the dotombori glica man, gigantic automated crab or the christmas luminaria in kobe.

many of the japanese people i met were very kind and helpful and giggly. but then i'll never forget the cherry blossom festival i went to at osaka-jo where i and a couple of my girlfriends were told in a few english words and a few more japanese words to leave the country.

that and the winters were awesome in osaka. it hardly ever went below zero. right now it's -9, but it might as well be -30. i've got a hairdryer propped up between my knees to keep my mouse hand from turning black and falling off. christ.

current mood: it's too effing cold here to feel my toes, nevermind a mood
current music:
the arcade fire, funeral (#1 on pitchfork's top 50 albums of 2004)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This blog is even better than that one with all the naked japanese cartoons. Sqirrels on Rockets?! Wow. Makes you think, doesn't it ... I mean, squirrels. Really. Could they even survive a rocket trip? I don't think so. But then, I don't work for NASA. I suppose if they had little crash suits, it would be OK. So stoned right now. Later.

Albie Clark said...

What about the Kuch on a misty summer's night, with an impromptu badminton court in the street? That must come close, ne?